2008 was a very good, very busy year.
In 2008 I became an aunt, got engaged, got married, bought and moved into a new house and adopted 2 kittens. Not to mention the 2 week holiday to the East Coast of America where I met my brand-new niece for the first time! And the mountains of DIY we’ve undertaken at the new house.
We’ve gutted and re-decorated all three bedrooms, the kitchen and all three bathrooms. Actually, the third bathroom is still waiting to be finished, but as it is only hanging of towel rails, mirrors and the like, I think we can call the ensuite finished. Finally.
So what will 2009 have in store for me? Hopefully not quite as much as 2008 because I don’t think I could do all that again!!
I hate the word resolution and I don’t think you should have to wait until January to make goals in your life, but it is a rather convenient time to join the goal-setting bandwagon. So here I go.
- I will read a book a week. Or, rather, an average of a book a week. 52 books in 2009 and I am sticking to it. I’m already behind. (shh!)
- I will make more of an effort to complete the list of 100 Snapshots listed here. I miss my camera and I miss taking photographs. Not just pictures, mind, but actual, thought-through photographs. So I am going to try harder.
- I will bake more of the recipes I see on the hundred or so food blogs I read religiously. I may even post about some of them. So far this year I’ve made Gramercy Tavern’s Gingerbread from the recipe posted by Deb of Smitten Kitchen which has to be my favorite blog. Wonderful recipes, beautiful pictures and a handful of humour thrown in for good measure. Go and visit her site, she is amazing. (And the gingerbread? So very lovely…)
- I will call my far-away family and friends more often. I may be 3,444 miles from them but that is no excuse.
- I will go see something at the theatre.
- I will spend more time writing. Writing, writing, writing… One of these days I will finish the novels that I have started (yes, plural) and I’m not going to let any more half-as-talented-and-twice-as-annoying-as-me “writers” beat me to the punch, and the millions.
My favorites from 2008?
Website – Cake Wrecks (The Cookie Monster cake still makes me laugh until I cry.)
Book – The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Read it right now. Seriously.)
Poem – i carry your heart with me by e e cummings (A late entry, but utterly perfect. Thanks, Kate.)
Song, New – Revelry by Kings of Leon
Song, Old – An Olive Grove Facing the Sea by Snow Patrol is still my favorite.
Album – Only By the Night, Kings of Leon
Movie, New – The only film I saw in cinemas this year was Twilight and it certainly does not rate as a favorite. It wasn’t very good. actually. I’m looking forward to seeing Australia, if that counts. If you want a movie I saw this year for the first time and loved, loved, loved then I’d go with Stardust (Thanks again, Kate).
Movie, Old – Pride & Prejudice (Not the BBC adaptation)
TV Show – Toss up between Pushing Daisies and The Big Bang Theory
And what am I looking forward to in 2009? Going on honeymoon. Finishing the last of the huge DIY projects. Finding a new job (fingers crossed). Watching my niece grow and grow and grow. Getting my hair cut short. Hopefully making it back to the States at some point to see people and finally box up all my books to ship over here. The first year of married life.
That is it, I think. Stay tuned for updates on the honeymoon, which has been booked, and my first of the 52 books of the year.